J Visa Foreign Residency Requirement

May 30, 2013 in Attorney Blog

Exchange Visa RequirementsThe article today is about the J visa foreign residency requirement because some of my fiance visa cases involve Americans who become engaged to foreigners living in the U.S. on a J visa.

The J visa is known as a cultural exchange visa because its purpose is enable foreigners to live and work in the U.S. for the purpose of learning about America. It is hoped that J visa holders will return to their home countries to tell their countrymen positive things about the U.S.

To further the goal of cultural exchange the J visa holder is required to return to their home country for at least 2 years at the termination of the J visa. In other words, J visa holders must live in their home country for at least two years before being eligible to obtain any form of immigrant or non-immigrant visa to live in the U.S.

It is, however, possible to obtain a waiver of the J visa foreign residency requirement. A J visa waiver is required to obtain a fiancee visa for your J visa holder foreign fiancee. My next post will cover the J visa waiver.