Proxy Marriages and the Marriage Visa

May 30, 2013 in Attorney Blog

proxy marriageMilitary servicemen who want to marry their fiancee abroad are often unable to get to their fiancee’s country to have a typical in person marriage ceremony. In such cases the American serviceman can do a proxy marriage under certain conditions.

The USCIS only recognizes proxy marriages if the American petitioner and his wife can prove that they have consummated the marriage (had sex) after the date of the marriage. In practice this means that the American needs to visit his wife in her home country at some point after the marriage to consummate the marriage. To prove that the marriage was consummated the American needs to provide the USCIS with proof of the trip and an affidavit attesting to the fact that the marriage has been consummated.

I have successful experience in dealing with proxy marriage immigration cases. In fact, I just received an approval in one proxy marriage case and just filed another such case. If you are considering having a proxy marriage to your foreign fiancee please call me to discuss the best way to proceed.