The K-2 (Dependant Child) Visa

May 30, 2013 in Attorney Blog

k2 visaThe K-2 visa is the appropriate visa for your foreign fiancee’s child or children. It allows the dependant child to enter the U.S. with his mother (your fiancee).

To obtain a K-2 visa it is necessary to list the dependant child in question 13 on the I-129f. The child does not need his own USCIS paperwork. Once the I-129f petition is approved by the USCIS the dependant child will need to file his own consular paperwork with the American embassy in his home country. This K-2 paperwork is typically filed along with your fiancee’s consular paperwork. I work with my clients to prepare the K-1 and K-2 consular paperwork.

It is much easier to bring the dependant child to the U.S. with a K-2 visa than to file an immediate relative petition at a later date.